Review: Creole Fires by Kat Martin

Image from Random House, Inc.

Blurb (from the back of the book):
A Woman of Hidden Flames
The once-wealthy, flirtatious belle stood on the auction block to be sold as a servant. Her sensual figure disguised, her glorious titian hair disheveled, she looked like a waif, trembling when she recognized the highest bidder--idol of her childhood dreams.

A Man of Blazing Passion
Alex du Villier bought the girl out of pity, but her aqua eyes stirred his soul and her body ignited his blood. She would be the perfect mistress to make him forget his coming marriage to a cold, haughty heiress. Now he intended to teach this innocent beauty that although he had purchased her freedom, he could steal her heart.

Kat Martin has penned some amazing romances and is a terrific writer. Unfortunately, this book is not one one of them. Creole Fires is one of Kat Martin's older books (published in 1992) and it shows. This book addresses a few issues that many romance authors in the present time would be hesitant to touch like slavery (it's set in the South in the early 1800's). It also has the whole "putting the heroine over the hero's knees for a few sound whacks after she misbehaved" scene that seems prevalent in romance novels published around the early 90s. I don't care for those scenes and if you don't either, then I don't recommend this book.

It took me a while to finish to book and I even had thoughts about giving up on it, but I made myself read it anyway. You know how some people can't waste food, well, I'm like that with books--a book unread is a book wasted--especially since I bought this book (it was only $4.99 but nonetheless). It was just... boring. The plot was the typical slave/held captive plot line. I didn't care for the hero at all and the heroine just annoyed the heck out of me. The whole book pretty much went this way: Nicki the heroine runs away (because her pride and honor wouldn't just let her accept her fate as Alex's mistress), she gets into some kind of trouble, and Alex rescues her and then it repeats. That got old really fast.

I'm giving it 2 stars because it was written well, I just didn't care for the story nor the characters. If you're looking for a good Kat Martin book, I suggest Heartless and Dangerous Passions. I read these a few years ago and don't remember if there was a spanking scene in these books (now that I think about it many of her books have spanking scenes in them), but I remember really liking them.

Hmmm... might have to go back and check that now...

**Disclaimer: I bought this book with my own money. My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.