2 Quick Reviews: Loving a Lost Lord by Mary Jo Putney & The Book of Scandal by Julia London

Review: Loving a Lost Lord by Mary Jo Putney

Image from here

I bought this book because I wanted something to read during the two-plus hour drive from Pennsylvania to New York. I was quite excited because I LOVED the author's older books, especially Silk and Secrets from her Silk Trilogy (which I read a few times a year).

I don't know what happened to Ms. Putney's writing. This is the kind of work I would expect from a writer just starting out and this was his/her first novel, not a veteran author who had written some of the best romances I have ever read. I tried really hard to finish the book because it reminded of Teresa Medeiros' A Kiss to Remember
(a book I absolutely loved) but I couldn't. I stopped about halfway and left the book in my hotel room. Maybe the housekeeper will pick it up and like it.

This looks like a series, but I don't think I will be picking up the next book.


I give it 0 stars. (DNF)

Review: The Book of Scandal by Julia London


Image from here

I picked up this book because it had my favorite plot theme: an already married but estranged hero and heroine (Nathan and Evie) get a second chance at love. However, I had to do a bit of homework before actually buying it because I don't like reading about a certain issue that was evident in this book unless I deemed it "forgivable" by my own reading standards. I won't reveal what it was because it might be a spoiler for some.

This book was like the story after the "happily ever after" (most romance novels stop after the hero and heroine get married and often I am more interested in what occurred after the wedding than anything that happened before it). This book might be a heavy read for some (and a box of tissues might come in handy) because it does address many issues like the death of a child, grief, betrayal, adultery, friendship, marriage, among other things. However, the two main characters were very likeable and I found myself caring and rooting for the hero and heroine to work things out. My only complaint was the mystery aspect of the book, which I felt took away from Nathan and Evie's story. The mystery seemed like it was more an afterthought on the author's part and the story would've worked even without it.

I give it 5 stars.

***I posted these reviews on Amazon.com (this link will bring you to my Amazon profile) about a month ago before I started this blog. I thought I'd post them here to add more content because I hardly have any.***

**Disclaimer: I bought these books with my own money. My reviews were based on MY own experiences with the books and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

2 comments

  1. Huh, I really liked the MJP title. I didn't like her historical paranormals at all though-- when you say you used to like her, do you me those or the older historicals, like the Fallen Angels series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I meant MJP's older historicals. I haven't read all the books in her Fallen Angels series (but the ones I did I liked) but I LOVE her Silk Trilogy.

    Thanks for checking out the blog and leaving a comment! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.