Review: Let the Night Begin by Kathryn Smith

Image from here

Let the Night Begin is the fourth book in Ms. Smith's Brotherhood of the Blood series which was set in Victorian England and tells the stories of five knights who drank from the unholy Blood Grail over 600 years before, turning them into vampires. This book is Reign's story.

This was my first Kathryn Smith book and I bought it because it's a reunion/second-chance-at-love story (my all-time favorite romantic plot line). However, I avoided reading it for a long time because I was afraid it was going to be a Sherrilyn Kenyon-like book. I had a Dark-Hunter phase a few years ago, but I found that after a while all her books were really similar in plot lines and the writing wasn't that great. To me, she was trying too hard to be witty and "urban" in her writing and all her heroes and heroines acted too immature for their age, like they were in high school almost (this also goes for her non-paranormal books). Please hold the rotten tomato throwing Sherrilyn Kenyon fans, this is just my opinion.

Anyway, the two main characters were married 30 years before the story began but were estranged. Olivia's nephew was abducted and the kidnappers' "ransom" was her husband, Reign (who is now one of my favorite heroes). He is crude and sarcastic (there was quite a sprinkling of cuss words in this book), but Reign is very sexy just the same. He wasn't perfect and he had his faults (which I loved... I hate too perfect heroes), but he was very patient with Olivia and very devoted to her. At the start of the book, Olivia was very stubborn and biting towards Reign, but completely devoted to her nephew (who I thought was a complete rat and my least favorite of the secondary characters... I disliked him more than the villain). However, despite her faults, she does mature throughout the story in a believable way and was heroine worthy of Reign.

The book was not Kenyon-quese in any way and I wish I had read it sooner. The writing was very good and the book was easy to read even though I didn't really care for the "suspense" part of the story. The story flowed well and the hero and heroine stayed true to their characters. I enjoyed the verbal sparring between the two and both have a lot of trust issues to work out, but the romance between them was really steamy (but not too graphic). This book is very much a stand alone and there is no need to read the previous books in the series to enjoy this one (I didn't). I give it 4 stars as it was a good read and I would gladly read another book by the author.


**Disclaimer: I bought this book with my own money. My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

1 comment

  1. I've been wanting to read a book by this author. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.