Review: Julie and Julia

Image from Warwick's

This memoir was stemmed from Julie Powell's blog where she wrote about the year she cooked all of 524 recipes in the first volume of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I picked this book up because I wanted to read it first before seeing the movie. I really loved the movie trailer because I felt a sort of affinity to it being a down and out girl myself trying to find a way to make my life have meaning. I did my research before purchasing this book and it seemed like people either love it or really hate it. However, I really wanted to read the book before seeing the movie, so I bought it. I began reading this book about a month ago, but I stopped about a third in, read two different books, then I finally picked it up again.

I really wanted to like this book, and I do somewhat because I think the writing was okay and there were a couple laugh-out-loud moments. However, the book was very "busy" and I think Powell tried to cram too much: family, friends, cooking, her blogging experience, her imagining Paul and Julia Childs' relationship, living in New York, and her job. She often used flashbacks or would be talking about cooking lobsters when suddenly she would recall an experience that happened at work, and maybe it's just me, but I was often confused and had to go a few paragraphs back to read again how this transition came to be. The author/narrator spent a lot of time complaining about her job, her apartment, and the whole world in general and was also a little narcissistic-- but hey it's a memoir so I guess I can forgive her for that. There was also a lot of profanity in the book, which I didn't mind, but some readers might.

Also, while researching this book I found out that she had written another memoir called Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat, and Obsession. I read that Cleaving's released date was held back because this book talks about Powell's infidelity, and the movie people were worried that viewers would lose sympathy for the main character (Julie Powell). This was true for me reading the book. I couldn't help but think how she'll eventually cheat on her nice, supportive, patient husband.

I give this book 2.5 stars.

**I feel like I'm missing something from my review but I can't figure it out. I'm sorry, but it's late and I have an early start tomorrow. If there are questions, please just comment and I will answer it ASAP.**


**Disclaimer: I bought this book with my own money. My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

2 comments

  1. I agree with you on this book-I thought it was a major disappointment and lots of whining. Have you read A Homemade Life or Trails of Crumbs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these books are so much better-for one they say something-which I did not really think J and J did. Visit Orangette or the web that is Molly from A Homemade Life's book. A trail of crumbs is about a young woman who has a relationship with the founder of L'Occitaine and owner of L'Oliviers-she is about 25 years his junior and has her own issues as she was left on the front steps of the police dept. when she was about 3.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.