Thursday, September 17, 2009

Image from MacMillan Publishing

The blurb for this book can be found here, which will take you to the author's website.

First of all, I would like to say that Kat Martin is a great writer in my opinion. I may not like all her books, but I always read through all her books I come across from start to finish because I love her style of writing. For me, even if I dislike the characters, the plot, the setting or anything else for some reason or other, but if the author writes well and the book is an easy read, I usually will read it through, as well as the author's other books I come across.

This was what happened with Bold Angel. I have read many Kat Martin regency romance before and liked them well enough. But this one, I had to force myself to pick the book up a few times and I was counting pages I still had to read before I reached the last page. My main complaint were the hero and heroine. They were just not very likeable, especially the heroine. She had way too many "too stupid to live" moments from the beginning of the story until pass the halfway point. I found myself frustrated with her and I just wanted to yell and shake her for all her stupid decisions. She does grow as a character and I guess I could've forgiven her because she was young and she was living at a different time, but she had absolutely no tact for a medieval chick and was way too stubborn... I just can't like her. As for the hero, his main faults were that he beat the heroine twice (I thought she deserved it the first time so I forgave him for that one, but the second time he did it wasn't right) and he slept with someone else. His reason for cheating was he couldn't allow himself to get too close to the heroine and fall in love with her. Puh-lease!

The story was set during the medieval times (not my favorite time period) and the plot themes were "marriage of convenience" and there were a couple "big misunderstandings" throughout. There was a lot going on in the book including incest, traitors, unsavory villains and a whole lot of external and internal conflicts. Like I said, Kat Martin is a great writer but you may want to skip this one.

I give this book 2 stars.


**Disclaimer: I bought this book with my own money. My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.